Saturday, February 25, 2012

Forgive my selfishness

I have been dangerously selfish this morning. As a strong Christian woman, I should feel some remorse for my thought, but I don't. As I smelled the aroma of the fruits of a new recipe waft in my kitchen, this tiny whisper of a thought took root:

I am not going to share this.

Uncouth, I know. What woman would find such a treasure and refuse to share it? After all, Pinterest is just screaming for this recipe. But, no, I will not. And I will tell you why.

A woman just needs to keep some things to herself. A woman's secret is to be honored and treasured. How, thus, am I supposed to wow people with my recipes, crafts and writings if I divulge every treasure I find? How, I ask, am I supposed to dazzle guests with homemade delicacies if I just shared the recipe with them days before? No, I will not. I will rise to the challenge of Martha Stewart (minus the crazy), if it kills me.

I blame Pinterest. I adore it, don't get me wrong, but a blame it nonetheless. I pin an incredible idea for my keeping. But my friend sees the pin and pins it too. And her friend pins it, and her friend pins it. Before I know it, my incredible find has become the norm. I don't like the norm. I like "wow, this woman is amazing. How does she do it all?"

I searched the verses of Proverbs 31 - the Wife of Noble Character - and found nothing condemning me for not sharing some of my finds. Though, if I am being honest, I might want to start memorizing my scripture on the cost of Pride.... but that is for another post.

So dear friends, and random strangers, nothing to find in the recipe section today. Just these sage words of advice: Want to appear to have it all together? Treasure a few secrets of your own.

1 comment:

  1. Oh girlfriend, I keep secrets too. I don't share half of the recipes that I write. I want them to be my treasures for my B&B guests...to keep them coming. There are things I find that I print and file in my pre-pinning books (mops moms only) know they exist. I say keep the treasures to yourself.

    ReplyDelete